PICK OF THE WEEK: Johnny Express (3D Animation)Blake Harris 10.07.2015
With so much great work being done in the animation and explainer video spaces, every week we like to shine a spotlight on an outstanding piece of work. This week’s selection is a fun, funny and beautifully made 3D animation about a lazy, Space Deliveryman.
The short film was made by a leading South Korean graphic studio called Mofac Alfred. If that name sounds familiar, it might be because of recent headlines like this: Minions Maker Illumination Signs First-Look Deal With South Korea’s Mofac Alfred. This film–Johnny Express–is ultimately what led to that deal. And after watching the video it’s easy to see why…
- Director: Kyungmin Woo
- Writers: Kyungmin Woo, Jisang Kim
3 Things We Love About This 3D Animation:
1. An Easy-to-Accept Abduction: The problem with a lot of sci-fi stories–or, quite frankly, narratives of any genre–is that it can be hard to find your footing when the story begins. In Johnny Express, however, the film does a great job of welcoming us viewers aboard a spaceship in the year 2150. How is this accomplished?
With well-crafted pacing, an upbeat color palette and non-intrusive establishing shots that bring us into the video’s universe with ease:
Oh, and of course, this is also accomplished with humor:
2.Speaking of Humor…There’s a lot of that! But what’s particularly impressive is that the jokes and gags here are subtle and clever.
Like the way that Johnny consumes soda:
This may seem like a small and inconsequential thing–and, for the most part, it is–but clever details like these appear throughout the film and are indicative of the kind of thought, whimsy and world-building that went into making Johnny Express. As a result, this is more than just a well-crafted 3D Animation…it’s a story.
3. Twists, Turns & Surprises Along The Way: Without spoiling anything, we’ll just end with this…
Latest posts by Blake Harris (see all)
- Interview With AdVenture Games Founder, Chad Michael - March 16, 2017
- Interview with Mixed Media Wunderkinds Tiny Inventions - March 2, 2017
- PICK OF THE WEEK: Planet Unknown (3D Animation) - September 28, 2016