10 Incredible Digital Marketing Stats from the Past MonthClaude Harrington 05.05.2016
As the calendar turns to May, we’ve put together a list of the most interesting digital marketing statistics from the past month. Some of these stats piqued our interest because of what they say about the state of digital marketing and the impact of video marketing, whereas others helped identify the type of content that has been successful in this quickly growing space.
Regardless–as these stats indicate–digital marketing has never been more important.
1. Where The Money Is: According to IAB’s 2016 Video Ad Spend Study marketers and advertisers are, on average, spending more than $10 million annually on Digital Video. That’s an increase of 85% from 2 years ago
2. …and Where The Money’s Going: That same IAB report also revealed that 72% of the marketers and advertisers surveyed said they will move funds out of TV in an effort to increase their spending on digital video advertising. Among those who stated that they would increase spending on digital video, 47% said it would come out of broadcast TV spending.
3. Global Streaming Growth: According to a report issued by MarketsandMarkets, the global video streaming market to grow from $30.29 billion this year to $70.05 Billion by 2021.
4. YouTube Ads > TV Ads: According to case study analysis conducted by Google, YouTube ads were far more effective than TV ads in driving sales. The report suggests that advertisers should be allocating up to six times more of their budget to YouTube than they currently do.
5. Snapchat Surpasses: According to Piper Jaffray’s semi-annual Taking Stock With Teens, Snapchat (at 28%) has surpassed longtime leader Instagram (now 27%) as the most important social network among U.S. teenagers.
6. But Not When it Comes to ROI: Although Snapchat may now be the most popular social network amongst teens, a recent survey by Social Fresh, Firebrand Group and Simply Measured reports that only 2.1% of social media marketers said Snapchat produced the best ROI. So who is the current leader? 95.8% of the social media marketers surveyed listed Facebook as providing the best ROI.
7. So…how popular is Facebook? According to eMarketer, Facebook’s user base is estimated to reach 1.43 billion monthly users by the end of the year. Interestingly enough, mobile is estimated to account for 82% of Facebook’s US digital ad revenue this year.
8. Speaking of Facebook… At Facebook’s annual developers conference, F8, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said 60 billion messages are sent via Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp every day. It was also reported that Facebook Messenger now has 900 million monthly users, up from 800 million in January.
9. Increasingly Effective: According to Ascend2’s Marketing Data Management Survey Summary Report for April, 97% of companies agree that the effective use of marketing data is increasing to some extent. Of that 97%, 44% say it is increasing significantly.
10. Snack-Sized Videos, Big-Time Results: According to Tubular Lab’s Top Ten List of Most Watched Video Creators, BuzzFeed Tasty ranked number one for the fourth month in a row. The video channel, which provides “Snack-sized videos and recipes you’ll want to try” racked up 2.2 billion views.
Latest posts by Claude Harrington (see all)
- Interviews with Animators: Shawn Wang - October 4, 2016
- Education Industry + Whiteboard Animation = Results - October 3, 2016
- The Friday Round-Up (from Roger Rabbit to Animated Indy!) - September 30, 2016