Empire State Building Facts: AnimatedShawn 05.02.2014
I work next to the Empire State Building. Seriously, like right next to it. This is a picture from my desk.
Sure, the walk down 34th Street is crowded with gawking tourists, and the 103-story art deco signature silhouette blocks out the afternoon sun in Herald Square (where I eat my lunch), but I love working next to this ol’ gal.
The ESB is an amazing building with a fascinating history (it was built in only 13 months!), and if you haven’t been to the top yet, hopefully this animation, from Steve Jackson, will inspire you to buy a ticket and seize your Sleepless in Seattle moment the next time you’re in town.
If you head my way, shoot me an email to let me know you’re coming, and I’ll meet you up on the top for lunch!
Read the Full Transcription (full of interesting facts) below:
- For more than 84 years, New York City’s skyline has been dominated by one famous skyscraper – The Empire State Building. Soaring 1,454 feet above Midtown Manhattan, it took just 13 months and seven million man hours to complete.
- The Empire’s Art Deco spire serves as a beacon to native New Yorkers, visitors, and quite literally to broadcasters – it’s technology still supports all the major television and FM radio stations in the New York Metropolitan market.
- More than 4 million people marvel at the view from it’s 86th floor – or if you’re famous and lucky enough to be invited – you can brave the climb to the secret bird’s nest – one of the highest points in the “Big Apple.”
- On a clear day you can see up to 80 miles, spanning five different states.
- Standing on two acres of prime real estate, the Empire State Building is also one of the world’s largest office buildings, which is why it’s also worth so much money. The firm that owns the Empire State Building – Empire State Realty Trust – raised a King Kong sized $929 million in an IPO last year – the second biggest ever for a U.S. real estate investment trust.
Latest posts by Shawn (see all)
- A Video is Worth 1.8 Million Words - September 4, 2017
- How Much Does a DIY Explainer Video Really Cost? - August 14, 2017
- Steal This Script: Free Video Script Template Download - July 31, 2017